Onondaga County Health Department is investigating a confirmed case of COVID-19 in an employee of Ascioti’s Market located at 3249 Milton Avenue in Solvay. Members of the public who visited the market on Tuesday, March 17 during the hours of 12:30-4:00 pm may have been exposed.
Onondaga County Health Commissioner Dr. Indu Gupta explained that, “All close contacts of the individual have been notified. Anyone who visited the market between 12:30 and 4:00 pm on the 17th should watch for symptoms of COVID-19 such as fever, cough, and/or difficulty breathing for the 14 days after visiting the store. If symptoms do develop, stay home and call your doctor for further guidance about testing. If you are elderly, have underlying medical conditions, or are immunocompromised, call your doctor early even if your illness is mild. In an emergency call 911.”
Prevent the Spread of COVID-19
The public needs to step up and protect not just themselves, but others in our community who are most vulnerable to getting severely ill. Simple steps everyone can take to help stop the spread of COVID-19 and help “flatten the curve” include:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially before eating.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Stay home, especially when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
Stay informed about COVID-19
Be aware of false information circulating on the internet. Accurate and up-to-date information is available from:
- Onondaga County Health Department: ongov.net/health/coronavirus.html
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
- New York State Department of Health: health.ny.gov/diseases/communicable/coronavirus/
NYSDOH Coronavirus Hotline 1-888-364-3065
A representative from the Health Department will be available at the 3:00 press briefing to answer specific questions related to this announcement.